Monday, May 23, 2011

Meet The Choreographer: Ann Myers

We sat down with Ann Myers, choreographer for this year's festival. She shares her history and what audiences can expect this summer...

How did you get started in theater? Although I’d been dancing since I was five, a friend in high school made me audition with her for our spring musical and there I was, bitten pretty hard by the theater bug. (Luckily, there’s no scar.)

Have we seen you in anything lately?
I’ve performed for theaters and cruise lines all over the country. But for the South Bay, I recently portrayed Lina Lamont in Norris Theatre’s “Singin in the Rain." I also choreographed the show, which was a special treat! Other South Bay credits include “Thoroughly Modern Millie” at Musical Theatre West and “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.”

What is your vision for the Music Man?
El Segundo is all about community. That is the base of my inspiration for creating fun choreography, somewhat reminiscent of Onna White’s, but with a little something extra, created specifically for this production. Be prepared to tap your toes, then have your socks knocked off! (Luckily, the grass feels great.)

What should auditioners expect when they arrive on day one?
Expect to have fun. And sweat. As long as you’re onboard with those two concepts, it’ll be a great time. And don’t be intimidated – we’ll be looking at all dance levels, so just come out, do your best and enjoy yourself!

Tell us what you love most about the show...
The Music Man has always been close to my heart. It’s one of my father’s favorites (he grew up in Iowa) and it was one of the first musicals I ever danced in when I was a teenager. Our family can’t even say the word 'Indiana' without humming “Gary, Indiana." But what I truly love about the show is it’s simple theme of love. Love of community, of family, of partners, of each other.

Anything else fun, crazy, or exciting you want to add?
Shipoopi!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment