Monday, August 24, 2009

The Vision

Every organization has a vision, whether spoken or unspoken, that sets the course for all who are involved. When I first came up with this concept, I spent a lot of time looking at vision statements of other successful organizations to get insight. Over weeks I'd read a lot of long-winded visions that included the same, tired gobbledygook. It was boring and unfocused.

So I decided to throw out all the superfluous nonsense and get down to the basics. Here are the Six Core Beliefs that make up my vision for Broadway In The Park:
  1. Build a true community theatre.
  2. Treat everyone like family.
  3. Create fun that’s a little quirky.
  4. Deliver “wow” through service.
  5. Do more with less.
  6. Embrace and drive change.
I want this program to be fun, dynamic, and involve everyone on a community level - in a way that inspires people to own the program. This isn't about Jeff Cason bringing Broadway to El Segundo... it's El Segundo bringing the arts home.

Do the Six Core Values make sense without further explanation?
Do you buy it? How would you empower the community to own Broadway In The Park?

1 comment:

  1. Jeff. My experience tells me that anything more than 6 will be "too much." The biggest question you have will be "how will we know if we are meeting these values?" Try to build in a feedback system both within your organization and with its "customers." Great luck. (not that you need it.)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete